Old June 17th 05, 04:35 AM
Michael A. Terrell

No One You Know wrote:

What some of you people don't see is that during most thunder storms
here in central Florida there can be an average lightning strikes in
the thousands for each storm. Not your typical anywhere else in the US.
That being said, there is no protection from a direct hit. Never was
and never will be( affordable anyway). You can protect from near hits
though through proper grounding. Heck, when I lived in northern
Michigan I would get a static charge from a snow storm at times.
Protect as well as can be done affordable and then rely on you
homeowners policy to pick up the pieces. After all, thats why you
bought insurance isn't it?

Yeah Mike, we're getting some things together again but I'm not going
for a generator yet, just canned goods and LP tanks and batteries etc.
I guess we should board up in June and take the boards off in December.
Makes for a dark summer ;-p

I picked up a truckload of plywood for my dad and step mom the other
day. My dad is cutting them to size and painting them to withstand the
hard, blown rain and ground water if we get hit again. I can't afford
any plywood this year, so I just have to take my chances. I had enough
pieces of scrap plywood to do the west side of my house, but it seems to
have disappeared into my dad's woodworking projects over the last four
years that we didn't have any hurricane worries.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida