Old June 17th 05, 06:23 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
| On 5 Jun 2005 18:21:06 GMT, "Mike Terry"
| wrote:

| When I heard that WCBS FM had changed their format, I felt like someone
had
| slapped me in the face. I hadn't listened to the station in a long time,
but
| knowing it existed was like knowing there was a friendly face from the
past
| still out there, smiling at you.

| Let me understand this. You grew up with WCBS-FM but no longer listen
| to it yet you want it to stay around just because you know it's there.

Well, there it is, isn't it? Radio one grows up with, and grows out of.
Although I have to note that one of the reasons why people grow out of a
particular radio station is because the radio station fails to grow
themselves.

| You abandoned them. Even worse, you got older and ceased to be of any
| value to them. That should be the slap in the face. There are many
| things in life that we abandon yet retain fond memories. Is Viacom
| obligated to keep WCBS-FM in perpetuity or just until you kick the
| bucket?

Well, no....but Viacom should have found some creative innovations besides
playing the same 2,000 (or 4,000 or whatever) cuts day after day.

| I'm sure this decision was carefully made by the TV folks running
| Infinity. I'm sure they'll give the format time (2 years) to grow and
| prosper. I'm sure they won't adopt the TV habit of changing
| programming every 6 months.

| Have faith that "iPod on Shuffle" is just the awesomely creative new
| format radio needs.

I think you've made my point, if I can assume that it's your usually droll
wit, and not some hurrah for this new trend, eh?
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-