Old June 17th 05, 06:24 PM
JLewis

Based on the newsgroup, I'll assume you're not transmitting, but listening
to broadcasts... I'm curious why you are concerned about a 'ground'...?

Neither aluminum window frames nor 23rd floor plumbing pipes (which usually
turn to plastic once in the framework of the building) will suffice as a
substitute for a good earth ground...

Does your radio require an "earth ground"? If so, try a tuned counterpoise
on the ground lug for the bands most listened to... It will probably do the
trick (If you need help locating one let me know via email, I have an extra
one).

BTW - your email bounces.

Best of luck.

John

"Lucky" wrote in message
Hi guys!

I live on the 23rd floor of a building so I can't use the earth directly

for
the ground.
The options in my "radio room" are the ground from the electrical sockets
and that's about it.

I've heard I can roll out 10ft of tin foil on the floor as a ground

{that's
out}, or, use the window frames as a good ground. As far as I can tell,

the
window frame looks to be aluminum or some sort of alloy.

Have any of you heard of using a window frame as a ground? I think I read

it
in this NG that someone recommended it and was using it for his ground.

I've
been using the ground from an electrical outlet.

But being that so many people live in the building that use appliances and
other plugged in items all day and night, I sometimes get what seems like
bad feedback affecting the receiver.

So what do you think of the window frame for the ground then? I welcome

any
other options I can use in a room very far from a direct earth ground. The
bathroom pipes are all the way across the room separated by a wall. Not

easy
to get to.

Thanks for any help
Lucky