Old January 11th 04, 12:44 AM
Scott W. Harvey

On 10 Jan 2004 13:37:26 -0800, (Dan Busetti) wrote:

The obvious reason for claiming anything "rare" is to increase the
selling price. Rare suggests hard to get, not found in every
collection- thereby invoking supply/demand dynamics. Case in point: I
have a Zenith tabletop, model 5G537. It uses chassis 5A02, the same as
console 5G572. According to Zenith records, only 4000 chassis were
built. An unknown number were put in tabletops compared to consoles.
In the big scheme of things for Zenith, this model is rare. Can I
legitimately advertise it as rare? Sure. Compared to other chassis
like 6B03 found in 224,000 portables (like 6G601 variants). Does that
make my 5G537 worth $500? Probably not. But at least I can PROVE
rarity based on facts, not on a hope, guess, limited experience, or
dream.

Well, let's put it another way: suppose you took a load of junk to a
junkyard for disposal, and while there saw a complete SX-28 at the
junkyard in fair-to-midllin' condition, located directly below a sign
that said ABSOLUTELY NO SCAVENGING ALLOWED, would you pass it by, or
would it magically wind up in your car or truck somehow with a blanket
over it?

Scarce or not, I know what I would do.....some rules were meant to be
broken :-)

The SX-28 may not be rare in actuality, but it is rare in the sense
that not too many radios with its level of performance were built in
that era, and fewer still survive completely intact.

-Scott

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)