Old June 18th 05, 12:55 AM
Jim Hampton

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On 17 Jun 2005 05:00:51 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Steveo wrote:
Vinnie S. wrote:
The Imax is kicking butt. I made my first Ham contact on 10 meters in
Texas. When I told him he was my first ham contact, he got more

excited
than I got. I figured after coax losses, I am probably only getting

out
15-20 watts on SSB. I am only getting out 6 watts on AM.

As far as CB and locals, they couldn't believe it was me because they
barely heard me with the Firestik in the attic. This Imax seems to
excel on receive. It is super quiet with no static.

Vinnie S.

Sounds like it's time for a 30L1 or similar. Hows the tvi/rf looking?

Hey Jay, reckon his antenna can handle a 30L1?

I am not so sure. Is that 1,000 watts? Won't the antenna melt?

Vinnie S.

Hello, Vinnie

I'm not sure the 30L1 would do 1,000 watts. We used a KWM-2 and a 30L1 in
the #2 position at the KG6AAY hamshack. The #1 position used a Henry 2K.

The legal limit back then was 1,000 watts dc input to the final (not 1,500
watts pep output like today). My guess is the 30L1 might put out 600 watts
pep. The Henry was capable of considerably more. Exactly what the 30L-1
could do, however, I'm not entirely sure.

I've seen that Henry putting out 1200 watts average on voice peaks on SSB
and even more on cw

Of course, that couldn't touch that RCA monster that was used once. Hooked
to a rhombic 200 feet in the air and 600 feet on a leg, it pumped some
40,000 watts output. It could punch a hole through an almost dead band
(everyone was running S-2 and it was 40 over 9 back in the states from Guam
Island). )

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim