Old June 18th 05, 09:59 AM

Again what about built up static?

Static is rf just like any other signal...When you
listen to lightning crashes, you are listening to
lightning "radio". Now, if you actually have static
build up on the antenna, IE from dry weather, etc,
you can always add a resister, etc to bleed it off.
But hear in TX, I never bother. It's not an issue here.

Where does it go then?

Where does any other signal go?

I usually switch
between my 2 antennas to see what brings the frequency in better, the
random
wire or the dipole. So I don't stay with one fixed antenna all the
time. A
ground would still not be needed then?

No.

So I take it most of you not transmitting are not grounded?

Well, many do I'm sure, but I don't. I don't use an rf ground to
my shack at all. I don't need one. You have basically three
types of grounds. The safety ground, the rf ground for the antenna,
and the lightning protection ground. Many times the last two
are combined. Your power line ground is the "safety ground".
You only need a safety ground in the shack, if your radio, etc
requires one. If it does require one, it usually will have a third
grounding pin on the plug. Many radios do not need a safety
ground. Actually these days, *most* radios do not require a
safety ground. IE: look at a TV...Do you see a ground pin on the
plug? Thats what I thought....
Then you have the RF ground for the antenna. Normally, it should
be at or under the antenna, *if* the antenna requires it to complete
the antenna. IE: vertical monopoles, etc... If you use a random wire,
and ground the shield, it's best to do that outside at the base of
the antenna. This assumes a coax feed... On the 24th floor,
you will never be able to get a decent RF ground that won't act
as an antenna, so thats really your only option. Otherwise, if just
a random wire to the radio, I wouldn't bother.
If you use a dipole, or other antenna that is complete in itself,
there is absolutely no need for an rf ground at the antenna, or
the radio. Nada, none, zilch. This is the way I operate. All my
antennas are complete, or have rf grounds under them.
The lightning ground is purely to direct the strike to ground, and
maybe protect the radio, if you want to go that far. There are
plenty of threads covering that hornets nest, so you can research
that on your own.
The lightning ground, I *do* use...But...It's all outside...Has nothing
to do with my shack.
Grounding is pretty complicated, per the reason/s, and is probably
one of the most "wives tales" loaded topics you can find.
Inside a 24 th floor highrise, you don't need to worry about static
buildup...If you did, probably half the electronics stuff in the place
would be toast by now...As far as listening, and static noise, there
may
well be nothing you can do about it, other than using a coax fed
antenna that is outside, and away from the noise source, assuming
that source is inside with you.
MK