Old June 20th 05, 04:25 AM
Bob Parnass

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:30:43 +0000, Michael Harpe wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Parnass on this. The situation he
describes has not been true for some time. At least since the time of the
Icom R-8500.

In the original posting which began this thread, Bill Carty asked about
the Radio Shack PRO-95 scanner. The PRO-95 is made for Radio Shack
by GRE, which does not make the memory layout and cloning commands
freely available for their scanners.

Icom and Uniden both document and publish their command sets. I downloaded
them from public manufacturer web sites. They will provide this
information for the asking. ...

Some ICOM radios can be remotely controlled while others can
only be cloned or configured via software.

ICOM publishes remote control commands for some of their
models, but they have not freely published the information needed
to write configuration software for their "clone only" models. To
obtain this information requires signing a nondisclosure agreement.

The Uniden web site requires that one agree to
a series of preconditions before downloading the documentation for
their commands. That includes the BC396T documentation at:
http://uniden.com/productsupport_downloadfile.cfm?product=BCD396T&dw nld_id=67

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com