Old June 20th 05, 01:44 PM
Reg Edwards

"Adrian Scripca YO8SSW" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Reg and thank you for your advices,

I changed the coupling loop to a length of self suporting wire as

you
suggested, I turned the trcv on and surprise : it was alive. Tweaked

it
for a maximum noise on receive.

SWR was/is high so I had to add an antenna tuner. nevertheless, on
14Mhz, cw portion I heard G, ON, LY, LZ, SV, UA, RV, RW, UR, EA, JA,
JS.
I even managed to work about all of them. I got kind of weak reports
but it's a start. If only I could tweak it so that I get SWR down
without the tuner.

How do you ensure that both are tuned to the same frequency?

I don't. I have no rig for that. I go for the max noise on receive.

73 de YO8SSW

===================================
Hi Adrian,

Pleased to hear you are now working OK

The correct way to reduce SWR is to adjust the diameter of the
coupling loop.
There's no way to tell which way to adjust the loop except to try it.
It may not be the best setting for ALL bands.
But it IS better to do without the tuner if you can manage it.
Adjust the loop diameter for minimum SWR on your favourite band and it
will also be fairly close on the other bands.

It will be easier to change the diameter of the coupling loop now that
it is just a simple length of wire.

Now that you can hear some noise, the correct way to set the loop and
receiver both to the same frequency is to VERY SLOWLY, vary the loop
tuning capacitor for maximum noise in the receiver.
----
73, Reg, G4FGQ