Old June 20th 05, 04:13 PM
Walter Maxwell

Hi Reg,

You've presented a very interesting way of measuring soil characteristics. When
I return to Florida in November I'm going to use your method of measuring the
soil underneath the dipole whose impedances I measured over the frequency range
14 to 15 MHz at various heights above ground, including one set of measurements
with the dipole lying on the ground.

One of the reasons I offered to distribute the data from my measurements is to
see whether anyone can deduce any soil characteristics from the changes in
impedance with height. The changes are significant. For example, the terminal
impedance with the dipole on the ground runs from 470 + j250 at 14 MHz to 570 +
j132 at 15 MHz. The inductive reactance doesn't become capacitive until the
dipole is 2 ft off the ground. In addition, except at zero height, the
resistance component decreases with height, but for every height the resistance
increases with frequency. Do you think any of the soil characteristics could be
determined by such data?

Would you like a copy of my data, just fer the helovit?

Walt, W2DU