Old June 20th 05, 05:55 PM
Owen

Ed Price wrote:
What detector do you think should be used to evaluate the interference
potential of BPL?

I had thought that the QP detector was designed to the "annoyance" effect to
AM or SSB modulation. CISPR has standardized this detector, and it's been
adopted for many legal compliance standards world-wide. Yet the USA &
British military insist on use of a Peak detector. Perhaps a dual level is
needed, with a QP value for comparison of harm to the older analog
modulation techniques, and a Peak value, for comparison of harm to digital
modulation techniques.

I understand that the CISPR 16-1 QP detector and 9KHz bandwidth are
rooted in a series of subjective listening tests done somewhere around
the 1930s.

(cue storyteller here...)

Firstly, the bandwidth survives, and you are right that it is embedded
in all sorts of EM standards.

I understand that part of the tests I referred to was to discover a
instrument response that fitted well with subjective assessment of the
impact of interference (I presume on an AM broadcast transmission).

I think EMC measurement equipment often contains some of Average, RMS,
QP and Peak detectors.

I have seen several recent reports on BPL radiation that have not used
the QP detector and the reasons have IIRC been that on a scan in xyz
planes over a wide range of frequencies, the EMC receiver is too slow
using the QP detectors.

Ed Hare suggests that the AGC on a receiver acts similarly to the QP
detector, and he is probably right. So the effect being that in an
impulse noise scenario, your receiver will reduce gain roughly in line
with the QP value (rather than say the RMS or the Peak), so it may be a
good measure of gain reduction due to interference. As to interference
with the detection process, the subjective tests to arrive at the QP
detector did not assess impact on digital modulation. It seems to me
that the impact on digital modulation / encoding systems would depend on
the peak value / repetition scenario in concert with the encoding
system's capacity for error detection / correction, but that is just me
thinking aloud.

Measurement bandwidth and extrapolation / interpolation is an issue, and
possibly a bigger one than the detector response. Again there is a
disconnect between 9KHz MBW (below 30MHz) for the standards and the 2KHz
wide receivers in use for SSB. In my opinion, there is no better way to
demonstrate the impact of interference in a 2KHz wide receiver than to
measure it on a 2KHz wide receiver, so I suggest that (for us amateurs)
there may be value in measuring both where possible.

Owen