Old June 21st 05, 02:27 AM
Owen

Frank wrote:

Using NEC 2 I found out, the hard way, that maximum pick-up takes place off
the ends of the loop. Given these constraints: With a field strength of
5.5 V/m, the voltage across the 50 Ohm resistor is 0.091 V RMS, or an
antenna factor of 35.1 dB. Within 0.4 dB of Owen's results.

That is great Frank, I like it because it agrees of course, but if its a
valid model, that is even better.

My model was much simpler in just trying to establish the Z of the loop,
I didn't do what you have done and irradiated the loop, well done. My
only residual concern is whether your receive loop was far enough from
the exciter to be truly operating under free space conditions. I suppose
if you double the distance and get nearly identical results, that would
be sufficient confirmation.

Two questions:
1. can I have a look at your model;
2. would you permit me to publish it (with attribution) on a web page
that I am drafting on the antenna design for BPL interference and other
interference measurement purposes.

BTW, although the gain is really low, I have also used it effectively
for getting bearings on interference from afar (though, DFing HF signals
is problematic, especially at high path angles).

Interesting exercise, and I actually learned something.

Life is fun, isn't it.

There is more to ham radio that "logging-in" to content-free nets,
talking about what is on the menu for dinner. Indeed, I suspect that
more "real" ham radio takes place off-air than on-air.

Owen