Old June 21st 05, 12:24 PM

jamulc wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm interested powering my Drake R8B from a gel cell for outdoor use.
The use of gel cells is something I'm totally new to, so I was
wondering if perhaps some of you out there who may have some
knowledge/experience with this sorta thing might be able to give me
some pointers as to
* where I might look to find a fair deal on a gel cell
* what types of models/brands are worth consideration
* what might be required in order to hook the Drake up to a gel cell
for proper powering (wires and what-not; admittedly I'm new to
this...up to now, I've only powered the Drake from the power outlet in
the wall)
I would need something that would give me at least 20 hours or so of
usage before requiring recharge, and I'm only looking to power the R8B
with the unit (not any other accessories or the like).
Any help would be much appreciated.

jamulc
------------------------------------
How much does the radio draw?
For example my R2000 draws about 300mA or 0.3 Amps.
For it to run 20hours, I would need at least 0.3X20, or "6 amp hours".
Given that gell cell makers figure the end point at a lower voltage
then
the r2000 will really operate from, I need a battery somewhat larger.
I have operated for slightly longer then 24Hrs from a 14A/H gell cell.

My primary backup batterey is a Pansonic 20A/H gell cell.
I have a 1A fuse in the +/positive leg.

I would first try contacting local alarm companies. They have to swap
out
farily new batteries from "high value" clients at regular peroids. You
wouldn't
want a swanky store to get burgeled because the battery went flat.

A 20Hr gell cell is HEAVY. It is a small lead acid battery, the acid is
gelled, so don't plan toting this sucker several miles into the woods.
I used to take my R2000 for picnics, but it is rough on desk top radios
to be handled "roughly" . I had a travel case of 3/8" plywood with foam

cushions, but I think the jarring was part or the cause for some failed
solder connections. I know carry a DX398, no nearly the radio, but a
LOT smaller, and will run or days from a 6A/Hr 6V gell cell, or even
operate from a simple PV array I built from scalvaged "solar night
lights".

Terry