Old June 21st 05, 02:55 PM
Mark S. Holden

The R8B draws a lot of current...2 amps. So, he's going to need a
serious battery. For 20 hours of usage between charges, he'll need a
40A/H battery if he's to avoid 'deep discharge'. That's going to be
heavy, and expensive.

Steve

I think the R8b draws slightly less than 2amps, but I agree it'll take a
heavy battery.

One of the things adding to the power requirements of the R8b is they
apparently use 56 green LEDs to backlight the display. A while back,
Starman mentioned replacing those green leds with four white ones.
jamulc might want to check with him to see how this affected power
consumption. I'm sure Starman would be happy to tell folks how he did
it. As I recall, he thought the modified backlight gave a nicer looking
display too.

The AOR 7030+ is more practical to run on batteries - It draws about .4
amps.