Old June 22nd 05, 01:51 AM
John - KD5YI

Owen wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

It is futile to accept Mathcad or any other program as being the Bible
unless one is sure that the underlying reasoning, by the user, is
correct.

Validity of the results are dependent solely on the user, plus the
possible uncertainty of program bugs.

Well, perhaps the validity of the model, which leads me to...

Reg, I mentioned in an earlier post that I was concerned about the
estimate of the loop inductance. It was suggested to me that the Lw term
that I included because it was in a prof's lecture notes was a double
up, and that the La term sufficiently estimates the inducance of the loop.

Searching the net suggests that there is some degree of black magic or
black art in estimating inductance of such things, and that Grover and
Terman had a view on it, but the formula I used seems to be commonly
used by online calculators and perhaps a more modern view.

Can you (or others) throw any light on the most appropriate formula for
estimation of the inductance of a square loop of about the size in the
model (0.5m sides, ~2mm dia copper wire).

I do recall that you said what I have done is too complicated and it can
be done with a hand calculator... but I would like to find an expression
for the inductance of the loop that will be accepted generally as the
best estimate withing the other constraints of the model and construction.

All constructive help appreciated.

Owen

Hi, Owen -

I don't know if the following posts will be of any help at all.

Subjects:
Wheeler's 1982 formulas verified
Wheeler's 1982 formulas verified - Wheeler.gif
Another solenoid inductance calculation - Solenoid.zip

group:
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Good luck.

John