Old June 21st 05, 10:30 PM
Jim Hampton

"John Smith" wrote in message
N2EY:

Well, it is quite obvious it is NOT as it was when I was younger--you
are correct--back then there were real men/women who knew how to
interact with youngsters and improve the hobby--and give a welcome and
"hand-up" to the newbie's.

Now, today, you see an example of the problem right here. The older
generation has not learned how to gain the caliber, stature and wisdom
of those who gave them a hand up. This new bunch is a "good ole boys"
club with a closed door policy. They are a self-serving bunch of
self-centered "small men/women." Long as they can rag chew and rant
their personal issues, likes, wants, etc they will go to their doom--it
is just up to thinking minds to make sure they don't carry the hobby to
doom with them...

They lack sorely when gauged against the those of yesteryear...
hopefully those who will now take the reins will learn from these
lessons and be able to correct this blight which has descended on this
once great hobby...

John

Hello, John

Certainly there are a few curmudgeons, but the hams I know well have been
always willing to help youngsters.

I think the biggest problem we've had is this code/no code argument that
never seems to die.

Myself, I wouldn't mind a retest for everyone rather than a free pass every
10 years. That might be an interesting "equalizer".

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA