Old June 22nd 05, 08:54 AM
Roy Lewallen

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

. . .
The real technical question is: how many, and how long, will be "just
enough" for "here"? That obviously requires a lot more knowledge and
engineering judgement.
. . .

And for the purpose at hand. We have to keep in mind that the
requirements for AM broadcasters are quite different from those of
amateurs. A few percent difference in field strength means a few percent
difference in a broadcaster's audience size and therefore in advertising
income. This income difference is felt year after year, so any change
that brings a few percent increase in field strength is worth a fair
amount of money for a broadcaster to implement. On the other hand, a
difference of 1 dB (more than a 20% change in efficiency or 10% change
in field strength) is seldom worthwhile at all for most amateurs.

I'm not sure why the great hangup on how many radials AM broadcasters
use. It certainly isn't what most amateurs need.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL