Old June 22nd 05, 02:22 PM
John Passaneau

I've just looked at my return rate.
I've sent 3089 QSL's out and have received 1784 back. This works out to be
in round numbers 58%. This includes cards sent, direct, to managers, to the
bureau, and to LOTW. As for LOTW I have 7859 contacts with 688 QSL's for a
round number of 8%. I'm most interested in DX and don't rag chew that much
so most of my domestic QSL's are from the people I've worked in the PAQSO
parties. That's the only contest I do in a serious way but I do give out
contacts in many others. In fact most of the domestic QSL's I have on LOTW
are from the PAQSO party. Way to go PAQSO party people. I don't do e-QSL
though I was, at one time, listed there and may still be for all I know.
Anyway DX stations with state side managers just about 100%. DX stations
with European managers just about 100%. Eastern European managers, not as
good, I would guess about 75%. I don't know if its because of bad mail
systems or green stamp collecting. Asia is all over the map with some areas
very good, some very slow. Cards though the bureau, it's a very slow
process, and I still get replies to cards I sent out 3 years ago. I don't
know what my rate of return on bureau cards is. Anyway LOTW is a good way to
cut the cost, but I see some problems. As most hams were born with their
arms to short to reach their pockets, Dxpeditions are still going to use
paper QSL's just to encouraged the $5 and $20 donations to help cover the
costs. LOTW will just be used only at the end of the processes. And LOTW has
same problem as e-QSL, nothing to show at the next club meeting, no neat
stamps to give to my mother who collects them.
In the end the only thing that will improve the rate is the receiving
station caring enough about his reputation to do the right thing, and the
sending station making it as easy as possible for him to do the right thing,
So always send an return envelope, big enough for the larger cards that some
seem to like, (and I sure wish I could find a good inexpensive source for
them) with enough postage in a form that the DX station can easily use. One
other thing that helps is doing the best one can to get the address right.
The standards of addressing mail is not the same the world over, and
sometimes the address look a bit odd to us here in the USA. The DX stations
could help by looking at their address on QRZ.com and the others and
correcting them so their post offices can more easily handle them.

--
John Passaneau
State College Pa.

"pd" wrote in message
One aspect of our hobby that I have always enjoyed is collecting QSL's. I
have a certain amount of interest in various operating awards. Currently
my
goals are 6 and 2 meter WAS & DXCC and 80 and 160 meter DXCC. Overall, my
rate of return on QSL's sent is good for DX stations, but it is dismal for
US
stations. I always include an SASE and a personal note, and generally
engage
in the type of QSO the other person seems to be looking for, such as a
quick
exhange of reports on AU or MS or an opening or a more lengthy QSO when
conditions are appropriate. In the past I have even included contact
cards
already filled out with the QSO information so the repcient only had to
sign
it and return it in the enclosed SASE.

I would like to hear others' opinions as to the reasons for not returning
QSL and on how to improve the rate of return.