Old June 22nd 05, 07:57 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:17:40 -0400, "Walter Maxwell"
wrote:

I'd like to hear your comments.

Hi Walt,

On first pass, the results are fairly consistent, but with two
exceptions. I am not sure if this is in my translation to file
formats suitable for Mathcad, or if they lie in your process.

Anyway, a general description:

The granularity of 50Khz appears to not be fine enough to find all
peak resonances for the 9 of the 11 within the band. I have rendered
the data into a sequence of 11 curves (one curve for each height) I
call "Q" where that quality factor relates to the ratio of RL to |XL|.
This was merely a survey to glance at all the data at once and to
observe how the Mathcad sheet was taking shape. To this point this
could as easily be accomplished in Excel. Continuing, I noted that
two sets of height data moved retrograde to the general trend.

That general trend revealed a family of peaks that moved up-frequency
as the antenna height was raised. Two of the peaks were out of the
band. One was above the band (the lowest antenna height) and the
second was below the band (the second lowest antenna height). Of
these two, I would suspect that the first, or lowest antenna height,
was a curve rising to peak at the second (anti)resonance - otherwise,
the trend is progressive with two exceptions.

Those exceptions are found in raising the antenna from 8' to 10' and
from 14' to 16'. The peaks in each of these step changes move counter
to the trend: down-frequency when the height is raised. Again, this
may be entirely a transcription error of my own that I need to
investigate further.

The biggest frequency shift comes with (this is a presumption) lifting
the antenna up off the ground to the one foot level. The next biggest
shift comes with the elevation change to the two foot level - and so
on with progressively smaller shifts in frequency shift and
progressively sharpening of the curves as the antenna is hiked higher.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC