Old June 23rd 05, 01:10 AM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:13:55 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:

Hasn't the copyright expired on material published in 1937?

Hm. The way I read http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc, it
has. It looks to me like the original copyright was good for 28 years
and for copyrights originally issued in 1937, renewal (if done) was good
for another 28. That would put it in the public domain after 1993. I'd
sure appreciate comments from someone who's actually familiar with the
law -- it's pretty convoluted and I'm not at all confident about my
interpretation.

True it gets very complicated, especially when the likes of Disney get
an act through Congress to copyright Mickey Mouse forever.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/comment..._sprigman.html

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court was not interested in the
constitutional aspects of this monstrosity and let it stand.

The average citizen can afford to bribe his local officials (democracy
in action), but when it comes to Congress, you need real money.

Publish the paper Walt, the authors are all gone (I think, but you
know better than I) the IRE is gone too; what are they going to do,
come back from the grave and sue you?