Old June 23rd 05, 02:30 AM
Richard Harrison

Wes, N7WS wrote:
"Sounds like the guy who works for Fleetwood."

Did not expect to hit a nerve with my story of "Value Engineering".
Fleetwood could be called Fleetaluminum after Wes` skin peeled and
sailed down I-10 at 75 mph.

When you are making many examples of a product it makes sense to
minimize cost if you don`t compromise the product.

A guy in my college class was hired by a car radio manufacturer. He
spent most of his first 18 months with the company eliminating a single
nut and bolt in a vibrator. His starting salery probably wasn`t much,
but I doubt they ever produced enough vibrators to recoup the cost of
their design improvement which saved a single fastener. His work must
have been akin to that of T.A. Edison finding the right stuff for the
filament of an incandescent lamp, finding a thousand things that didn`t
work before finding one which did.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI