Old June 23rd 05, 02:47 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Roy Lewallen wrote:

Hm. The way I read http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc, it
has. It looks to me like the original copyright was good for 28 years
and for copyrights originally issued in 1937, renewal (if done) was good
for another 28.

That's the first thing to check - see if there's any record of the
renewal actually taking place in 1964 or 1965. If it didn't, then the
work would have entered the public domain effective 1/1/1966, I believe.

That would put it in the public domain after 1993.

Here's where I differ with you. The copyright law which went into
effect on 1/1/78 automatically extended the second (renewal) term of
copyright, for works which had been originally copyrighted before 1950
and on which the copyright had been renewed before 1/1/78. The second
(28-year) term was automatically lengthened to 67 years, giving a
total of 95 years of protection.

So: if the work's original 28-year copyright was not renewed, then it
fell into the public domain in 1966.

If the work's original 28-year copyright *was* renewed in its last
ear, then the second 28-year term was effective, was automatically
extended to 67 years by the Copyright Act of 1976, and is still in
force today.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO