Old January 17th 04, 07:16 PM
Phil Nelson

"starman" wrote in message
As you may know, there's an SX-88 on Ebay. The pictures show it still
has the original paper capacitors like the 'Tiny Chiefs' and 'Black
Beauties', which are known to become leaky. Should a valuable radio like
the '88' be run with these caps' and possibly damage an irreplacable
componant, such as an I.F. transformer? Would it lessen the value if it
was recapped?

I own an SX-88 and I had no hesitation in recapping it. I use it regularly.

If you're not going to replace the old capacitors, then DON'T turn it on.

I collect radios for the purpose of restoring and using them, so the concept
of owning an unplayable "shelf queen" holds little allure. I doubt that
recapping would seriously affect the value of this particular set, but then
I don't operate a museum full of shelf queens. You can always save the old
caps in a sack in case some future owner wants to restuff them. Keep in mind
that it's basically impossible to restuff a plastic cap such as a Black
Beauty.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios