Old June 23rd 05, 07:51 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Steve,

I have an AOR AR7030 Plus receiver and a Wellbrook ALA 330S antenna.
Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I decided to try powering the whole
kid and kaboodle from a Century Electi-pac (Model BPIP-99), a portable
electrical power device (read: large and heavy battery).

The whole thing worked great. I listened for about an hour and a half
before I turned everything off. I then plugged the Electri-pac back
into the wall socket and within a couple of hours it was totally
recharged.

I don't know how long this would power my radio and antenna nor do I
know exactly how long it took to recharge (I went back into my room
late last night and all the LEDs were "on," indicating the unit was
totally recharged). I don't know the capacity of the battery but on the
back it's indicated 12 Volt output 20 Amps. It will power 115 Volts at
300 Watts (2.3 Amps). I've had this item for several years (actually I
have two of them); I bought it for emergency power from The Sportsman's
Guide and fortunately have never had any real need to use them. I think
I paid about $80 at the time.

I've often thought of taking my AR7030 out on a "field trip" along with
this device (I'm sure it would be powerful enough to power a Drake R8B
also) but I've never done so.

Inertia ...

Best,

Joe