Old January 19th 04, 07:13 AM
Phil Nelson

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
I was surprised when I
traced it to a very leaky steel bathtub cap -- I thought those mil-spec

babies
never went bad. I left the cap in place a wired a replacement on top of

it
(not beautiful, but easily "restored" to "original").

I had the same experience when restoring my 2nd Scott 800B6. Someone alerted
me during that project that some bathtubs are in fact paper caps, not
oil-filled, and you can't really tell the difference by staring at them. I
tested them and sure enough, they were leaky as heck. I wired replacements
around the original bathtubs, as Mike describes. One of these days, I should
on the assumption that they were "just fine."

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html