Old June 26th 05, 01:45 AM
David Eduardo

wrote in message ...

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message
I guess this guy has never been to a less developed country where SW
is
the only radio you can receive

I guess not. Hell, I live right here in NYC and at night the shortwave
bands are bursting at the seams.

And very little of it is of relevance to rural residents in the Third
World,
such as Latin America. Which is why it is almost as difficult to find an
SW
receiver at retail there as it is in the USA.

A shortwave broadcast is "relevant" to anyone who's interested in
listening to it, regardless of culture. It might be hard to find SW
receivers, but it sure isn't hard to find stuff on shortwave. Like I
said, at night the bands are bursting at the seams.

The reference is to rural Latin America, which you can see in the paragraph
above. Except for Spanish and indigenous languages, there is very little
usage of any other tongue in rural Latin America. And what is generally
available in Spanish is limited, and either consists of local stations from
other areas (declining) or mostly religious material. There is not a wealth
of secular international Spanish broadcasting, and that which exists is
often of little interest to the social and educational level of rural Latin
America.