Old January 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Tim Wescott

If it's a steel chassis, use neodymium magnets, possibly with electrical
tape to enhance friction. The two big problems that you have with these are
(a) getting them apart once they've attached themselves to a piece of iron,
and (b) keeping their fragile little selves from shattering when you fumble
them and they bonk into each other at great velocity.

You can do a web search on on the obvious and get a half-dozen or more
vendors. I just ordered some from Gaussboys (www.gaussboys.com); they were
very prompt, and the magnets seem to be good quality.

--------------------------------------
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
In article . net, "Phil
Nelson" writes:

This is almost too dumb to mention, but after years of struggling to prop

up
heavy chassis on my workbench, it finally occurred to me to screw some

heavy
corner braces into the chassis mounting holes.

Great idea, but what about a chassis that has no holes in it for the bolts

go thru? Most readers of this newsgroup would not like to drill new holes

in a
vintage chassis.

For years I have put off repairing my Philco 38-116, because its huge

chassis
has projecting studs that prevent it from resting on its sides on the

bench. I
will probably sell this radio (console) as-is before building something to

hold
the chassis.
--Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.