Old June 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Sparks

Oh my, yet another version of the "Hans Is A Radio Hero" story.
Down at the Legion, they have at least five or six different
versions of the story, with the best versions being told after several
shot 'n beers are consumed by the grand story teller.
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwn, why do old men never tire of telling
borrrrrrrrrrrrrring embellished war stories?

73,

Sparks

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hello, Len

LOL, no I didn't save Saipan. I simply made initial contact with Hans who
*was* on Saipan loading a chain link fence, I believe, as the Coast Guard
tower had been blown over. At that point, I was due on watch and 3 other
guys took over at KG6AAY. They were the ones secured from all other duty.
I went to my regular assigned job in crypto.

It was the other guys who maintained communications with Rota and a number
of them got citations from Captain Delaney (our commanding officer).

The only reason that the Navy radiomen didn't make contact is that they
didn't realize that Han's signal was so strong that it was overriding the
local oscillator, thus rendering the SSB signal unreadable. Had they
pulled
the antenna and stuck a coat hanger in the antenna jack in the radio,
they'd
have had good reception.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

ups.com...
From: bb on Jun 27, 7:39 pm

True. He saved Saipan once and told that story many times. :-)

[IEEE is a professional association...I am a Life Member]