Old June 28th 05, 12:56 PM
W8JI

However, with no electrical connection (transmission line) existing
between primary/secondary, and the voltage and current only conducted
between these windings by a magnetic flux--I CAN'T see how a "true"
balun can be argued, clearly--as opposed to "rf transformer."

But, I am giving this thought--as I am sure are others... I never
thought about the humble "balun"/"rf transformer" in some of these ways

before--possibly I am not alone... either and anyway, I enjoy the
thinking you have established here...

Aw comen on now John. Every single link coupled transformer from the
1900's to today works on the principle, as do link coupled tuners or
matching systems.

Many solid state amplifiers, as amatter of fact MOST HF solid state
amps use a primary/secondary transformer to couple unbalanced loads to
the PA transistors balanced source.

As a matter of fact many use a similar circuit as this "novel
invention". The ALM-500 for example used series secondarys for a period
of time, as did Henry amps.

I had a push-pull 810 amplifier that used the same system to drive the
grids of the triodes in 1964 or 65.

Using a transformer with interleaved or coaxial windings is about as
new as the first power transmission with AC power.

The only thing new or novel about Chris' "invention" is he has
redefined transmission line to include flux-coupled windings that do
not convey energy via TEM (transverse electiomagnetic) waves like the
normal transmission line we use.

Making up a new definition is not the same as producing a new or novel
invention. This is almost like the new invention call Fractal antennas
or E-H antennas that don't use "old" technology!

73 Tom