Old June 28th 05, 06:35 PM
Michael Lawson

"rkhalona" wrote in message
oups.com...
John S. wrote:

In fact we were in a car. The lost signals were so frequent that

we
switched to regular radio, and found the music we were looking for.
They will have to stabilize reception and improve the selections

before

paid satellite radio is of any interest to me.

You were not a "cooperative user" (to use a term coined during the
development
of early mobile satellite systems. Your experience would have been
radically different
if you had had a clear line of sight to the satellite(s).

Yes, but the clear line of sight becomes an issue
in the big cities and in areas with lots of trees. I
personally have DirecTV, and I'm lucky in that the
tree near to the dish is a honeylocust, so that the
signal from the birds can penetrate the dappled
shade of the honeylocust. Others I know who
wanted to make use of DirecTV had to forego it
because obtaining a clear view of the southern
sky meant they'd have to cut their trees down.
Satellite radio, it seems, looks like it might suffer
from similar (but different) limitations.

--Mike L.