Old January 26th 04, 02:26 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I had a Collins KWM-380 where the xfmr got to hot to touch even after I shed
most of the load. Luckily I found a replacment, and the problem was solved.
I monkeyed with the bad one, poltted temp vs time and worte it up. I came
to the conclusion that it ahd a shorted turn. Any time you can hold your
had on a component except for a tube or power resistor it's running too hot
and something is wrong. As mentined before, shed some load by removing the
5U4 and testing and then a few tubes at a time to see if that helps. If
that doesn't help look for obvious leaks on the heater feed lines, If none
are found my guess is you have an xfmr that has a shorted turn/ turns.
hank wd5jfr
"k3hvg" wrote in message
I've got a particularly nice NC-183 in the collection. Although nothing
untoward has happened after a number of continuous hours of operation, I
do notice that the power xformer get noticeably hot.. as in it can't be
touched but for a few seconds. Voltage drop considerations aside (they
can be addressed, after the fact), would using a solid-state rectifier,
in place of the 5U4, provide a noteworthy temp decrease? 15 watts is 15
watts, of course, but I'm curious if anyone's actually made note?
Thanks de K3HVG