Old June 29th 05, 01:51 AM
K7ITM

(I've snipped parts of Roy's original posting, indicated by ..., that I
hope are not particularly relevant to my added comments.)

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I don't see the original posting here on rec.radio.amateur, but there
are a few misconceptions in the followups which should be addressed.

Unless the line is carrying common mode currents that affect antenna
impedance, changing coax length won't change the SWR, even if the
antenna isn't matched.

Again correct except for overlooking the effect of coax loss.

But there's a real problem in communicating this. If you hook a 50 ohm
SWR meter to the input of a 75 ohm, 300 ohm, or line of any impedance
other than 50 ohms, the meter reading won't be the SWR on the
transmission line. That can mislead people into thinking that the SWR is
changing with line length when it actually isn't.

In addition, most hams (and other non-professionals -- and even many
professionals) don't bother to check that their SWR meter is properly
calibrated to the impedance they think it is. Most are nominally 50
ohms, but they can be built for any practical line impedance. Checking
calibration is not all that difficult, if you take the time to do it.
In addition, your nominally 50 ohm line (or 75 or whatever) can have an
actual impedance 10% or more from the nominal value. If you have
properly calibrated your meter to 50 ohms, and your line is 60 ohms,
you would read 1.2:1 SWR when your line is actually 1:1. And if the
SWR on the 60 ohm line is 1.2:1, that 50 ohm SWR meter can read
anything between 1:1 and 1.44:1, depending on the line length and its
load. Finally, though you may have checked that the meter to reads 1:1
with a 50 ohm load and infinity to 1 with a short or open load, the
construction of inexpensive meters may cause them to have significant
errors at other load impedances.

The "Magic" of an electrical halfwave transmission line is at a
precise frequency, the reflection of the load to the transmistter is
equal to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line
irregardless of what impedance it is terminated with.

This is true only of a lossless line. If the load impedance isn't far
from the line's characteristic impedance (i.e., the line's SWR is low),
a small amount of loss won't make much difference. However, if the line
SWR is high, even a small amount of loss can make a major change in the
impedance seen at the line's input. The effect is to skew the impedance
toward the line's Z0.

The piece that Roy quoted is so outrageous that I can easily believe he
didn't read it right, but I've re-read it several times, and it keeps
coming out the same: the "magical" halfwave line does NOT reflect an
impedance to the source (transmitter) equal to the LINE impedance as
the quoted section says, but it reflects the LOAD impedance (altered by
line loss as Roy says).

about tuners, Roy went on to write:

It requires at least two adjustable components to achieve an impedance
match from an arbitrary load impedance, because there are two separate
quantities, R and X or impedance magnitude and phase, which have to be
adjusted. Changing the line length is only one adjustment, so it can't
be guaranteed to provide a match. If you could also change the line's
Z0, for example, or the length of a stub, you'd have two adjustments and
you could guarantee a match providing you have enough adjustment range.

In addition, two adjustable components in a particular configuration,
even if they are infinitely adjustable (and reasonably close to
lossless!!--a very tall order!) won't necessarily give you the ability
to transform any arbitrary impedance to 50 ohms. There may be whole
practical areas of the complex impedance plane left untransformable.
Also, the efficiency of a particular tuner topology for a given load
impedance may be very good or may be terrible, when using practical
components in the tuner. To reiterate what Roy wrote, it's important
to use the right topology for the job you need to do.

Cheers,
Tom

james

So thats all my tuner does, lengthen or shorten the coax?

Are you sure about that?

Rest assured, that's not all it does.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL