Old June 29th 05, 01:10 AM
Peter Maus

Mark S. Holden wrote:

John S. wrote:

I had my first taste of XM radio reception via satellite this past
weekend and was less than impressed because it drops the signal around
tall buildings and tall trees. For the Grundig to not have xm
capability is no great loss based on my experience.

On a portable, you'd probably have less frequent dropouts than in a car
because odds are you'll put it down in one spot while you listen.

Of course if you pick a spot that can't see the satellite, you'll have
to move or listen to something else.

Depending on the market, you may have local terrestrial
repeaters to fill in weak spots where satellite isn't visible to the
receiver. We have them in Chicago, so I rarely see dropouts even
with underpasses, and similar obstacles. Over the weekend I was on
the road where terrestrial repeaters were not available. Dropouts
were moe common than in the city.