Old June 29th 05, 11:45 PM
Tom Donaly

james wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:07:17 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

What is the reason a 2:1 SWR can cause such havoc?

How can I avoid this catastrophic condition?

I feed my dipoles with 450 Ohm ladder line, but the last 20 feet or so is 50
Ohm coax, I guess that makes it work ok. I haven't blown up my finals yet.

Lions and tigers and bears Oh my...

*****

Actually can happen if you push the finals to where there is
insufficeint margin to the maximum heat dissapation. Tubes are a bit
more forgiving. Transistor inadequately heatsinked and overdriven,
typical CB usage, often have little of no margin for heat dissapation.

If the transmitter has a refelction coefficient of zero and the load
say .3, then that reflected power from the load is dissapated as heat
in the output circuits and any final transistors or tubes. Now if the
radio has a reflection coefficient other than zero that will lessen
the heat dissapation on the transimiiter. Now you get load and source
reflections convoluting within the transmission line.

You ought to model a 400 Mhz square wave with source and load
refelctions coefficients other than zero. It can get ugly

james

Consider the MRF 140, a 150 Watt 2.0 - 150.0 Mhz N-Channel
linear RF power fet. From the technical data sheet: "100% Tested
For Load Mismatch At All Phase Angles With 30:1 VSWR." You'd have
a tough time damaging this device with a mere 2:1 VSWR.
How do load and source reflections convolute within the
transmission line? That's a new one on me. My old dictionary
defines 'convolute' as "Rolled or folded together with one part
over another; twisted; coiled." The rest of the post is pretty
fanciful, too. A trip to the library would do wonders.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH