Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:37:10 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote in :

Frank Gilliland wrote:
Point is that they are usually calibrated for Z0=50 ohms
and are in error when used in Z0 environments differing
from Z0=50 ohms, e.g. Z0=75 ohms.

The point is that the error is insignificant when the directional
coupler is much shorter than the wavelength.

Nope, that's not the point at all. It is true that a 50 ohm
SWR meter designed for HF may not work on 70 cm but the error
I'm talking about is the calibration error in a 50 ohm SWR meter
designed for HF and used on HF in, for instance, a Z0 = 450 ohm
environment instead of its calibrated-for 50 ohm environment....

There lies our misperceptions; I was not referring to using an HF SWR
meter designed for coax and plugging it into 450 ohm ladder line.