Old June 30th 05, 08:34 AM
Gary

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:27:54 -0700, "Chuck Olson"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking of buying a used Hustler 6BTV vertical ( 80 thru 10
coverage) and was wondering about how many radials I'd need and how
long they should be ? If I do get it, I'd be ground mounting the
vertical and planting the radials about 1 - 2 inches deep in soil
that's mainly clay.

Thanks in advance.

73 Gary

You might want to think about hardware cloth - - half inch screen dipped in
zinc - - virtually one continuous sheet, solderable and resistant to weather
and moisture. It comes in a 36" width, and I bought about 100 ft of it for
my ground-mounted 6-band Butternut. The results have been excellent. People
use cars and trailers for their counterpoise - - but this makes a much
bigger one, with a lot more capacitance to ground. You can then sod over it
or put in plastic sheeting and pebbles - - whatever you like. The only thing
you need to settle is to get your sprinklers arranged ahead of time so you
don't have to trench through under the hardware cloth.

73, Chuck W6PKP

Ok, thanks Chuck ... 73 Gary K8IQ