Old June 30th 05, 01:08 PM
W8JI

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say Frank.

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:10:25 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote in :

The bridge is calibrated to the impedance of the directional coupler
(which is usually built to match the expected line impedance, but
cannot be "zero length" in the present state of reality).

The direction coupler samples voltage across and current through a
given point. There is always a current transformer of some type and a
voltage sample through some type of divider. The "voltages"
representing E and I are summed before detection (conversion to dc).

The "directivity" comes because the current phase sample is reversed
180 degrees from the summing phase, causing voltages to subtract.

This means the directional coupler is calibrated for a certain ratio of
voltage and current, so when they exist you have twice the voltage in
the direction where E and I add, and zero voltage where they subtract.

If the
impedance of the signal is different than what is expected by the
bridge then your power measurements will probably be wrong (to what
extent they are wrong may or may not be important). But if that's the
case then any error will be the same by percentage and sign for both
forward =AND= reflected power because the impedance of the signal is
the same for both forward and reflected power. IOW, the ratio is the
same -despite- the impedance.

?What does that mean?

If the directional coupler is calibrated at 50 ohms and you use it in a
75 ohm system you won't get a total reflected null even if the 75 ohm
line has a 1:1 SWR. But if you subtract reflected power from forward
power readings you will get the correct power, within linearity and
calibration limits of the "meter system". This has nothing to do with
standing waves. It has only to do with the relationship between current
and voltage at the point where the directional coupler is inserted.

I'm not sure if you are saying that or not.

73 Tom