Old June 30th 05, 01:36 PM
Cecil Moore

Frank Gilliland wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
But I specifically stated above the Z0 environment was different
from 50 ohms. The same type of error happens when one uses a
50 ohm SWR meter in a 75 ohm coaxial line.

If that were true then the mere existence of standing waves could
render any measurements worthless. Regardless, I did the experiment a
long time ago -- take a 50 ohm SWR meter and plug it into a 75 ohm
line -- it gives you almost the same measurement (in fact, I didn't
see -any- difference at all).

Please run it again in the following configuration:

Xmtr--1/4WL 75 ohm line--SWR meter--1/4WL 75 ohm line--50 ohm load

The SWR meter will read 2.25:1 when the actual SWR is 1.5:1

Xmtr--1/2WL 75 ohm line--SWR meter--1/2WL 75 ohm line--50 ohm load

The SWR meter will read 1:1 when the actual SWR is 1.5:1

Any small error you might see is, as I
said before, insignificant, especially considering the reason you are
measuring SWR in the first place.

A 50% error in SWR reading is NOT insignificant.

The objective is simply to get the
reading as low as practially possible. If you feel the need to quibble
about a couple tenths of a point on a ratio then maybe you're spending
a little too much time playing with the calculator instead of the
antenna.

A 50% error in SWR is NOT a couple tenths of a point.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp