Old June 30th 05, 01:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Frank Gilliland wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
A 75 ohm bridge is expecting the ratio of voltage to current
to be 75 for a matched system. In a 50 ohm matched system, the
ratio of voltage to current will be 50. Therefore, the 75 ohm
bridge won't be balanced. A 50 ohm bridge would be balanced.

The bridge is calibrated to the impedance of the directional coupler
(which is usually built to match the expected line impedance, but
cannot be "zero length" in the present state of reality). If the
impedance of the signal is different than what is expected by the
bridge then your power measurements will probably be wrong (to what
extent they are wrong may or may not be important). But if that's the
case then any error will be the same by percentage and sign for both
forward =AND= reflected power because the impedance of the signal is
the same for both forward and reflected power. IOW, the ratio is the
same -despite- the impedance.

The error is NOT the same percentage. In a matched 50 ohm system,
the 75 ohm bridge reflected power reading will be off by an
infinite percentage, i.e. division by zero.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

I have tried it and you are wrong. Maybe you should try it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp