Old June 30th 05, 10:59 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:28:45 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:59:24 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:45:25 GMT, james wrote
in :

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:17:53 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

That's basically what Lance said, just in different words. So what's
the problem?
*****

I have problems when people state "current flows". That is not
actually true.

So current -doesn't- flow?

Power in the electromagnetic wave that flows down a
transmission line and currents on the center conductor and outer
conductor are dependant on the E and H fields of the wave within the
transmission line at any point on the transmission line.

Those E and H fields are created by voltage and current introduced
onto the conductors. A transmission line simply establishes a kind of
self-propogating 'symbiosis' between the fields and the current &
voltage on the conductors. Current does indeed flow on those
conductors -- if it didn't they wouldn't be necessary.

******
Please correct me if I have misunderstood your position above. I am
trying to visualize what are saying.

Then it is your assertion that in a coax a sinusoidal current flows in
the center conductor to the load, then through the load and back to
the source through the shield?

I'm not going to educate you about transmission lines in a newsgroup.
It would take several large posts and I simply don't have the time to
write that much. If you want to understand how coax works then dig out
your EM textbook and review the basics.