Old July 2nd 05, 02:46 AM
Walter Maxwell

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
So as I understand it, as I add more radials, my field strength should
increase regardless of the elevation angle. Assuming I make all measurements
at the same point.

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Walt, while this would be wonderful information if I were broadcasting
during the day on 75 meters, how is it applicable to those of us who

don't
care about groundwave?

Well, Fred, it's because it has everything to do with how much of your

xmtr
power is heating the ground vs how much is being radiated at whatever

frequency
you're using. We're not even talking about ground wave, it's how much

power is
radiated, period.

Walt

Fred, the radials affect only the efficiency of the radiator--power lost in the
ground resistance vs power radiated. The take off, or elevation angle is
determined by the ground conductivity external to the radial system, the poorer
the ground the less power will radiate at low elevation angles. In other words,
the better the ground conductivity external to the radial system the lower the
elevation angle of the maximum radiation. If the conductivity was perfect at an
infinite distance away from the radiator the elevation angle of the maximum
radiation lobe would be zero degrees.

Walt, W2DU