Old July 1st 05, 08:31 PM
an_old_friend

Michael Coslo wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

Dee wrote, "... only fax and SSTV have a small enough band width to be
practical."

That is not only a ridiculous statement, it is preposterous and shows a
total lack of knowledge of the state of data compaction.

However, it proves you are not aware of what is technically possible and
therefore are in a poor position to advise or inform others and, the sorry
state of amateurs technical savvy in general!

John

Ok then, show me the math that demonstrates you can transmit a one megabyte
picture in seconds on the HF bands using only 300 baud. To get it down to
seconds requires data compression/encryption techniques that can reduce the
data by a 1000 fold.

break

Obviously, images can be transmitted by digital modes as well as the
analog method of SSTV.

Is that a good way of transmitting the image? It can be. Seems I've
heard about a digital image transmission mode.

Does that make the Analog SSTV mode obsolete? No more obsolete than SSB
or FM. It is a fairly quick mode, and with a computer is now
inexpensive, and fun.

Analog SSTV is obsolete, as is SSB clearly, FM might be.

Obselete doesn't mean useless

I'm looking forward to an education on the modes from someone with
technical savvy. Mr Smith?

- Mike KB3EIA -