Old July 1st 05, 11:37 PM
Dan/W4NTI

All that wire on the airfield.....must have been ruff landing those
bi-planes.

Dan/W4NTI

oups.com...
From: "K?B" on Fri 1 Jul 2005 01:47

wrote

We got REA in the summer of 1954 when I was 14 years old. Running water
too.
(I was 8 or 9 when I learned Morse.)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Oh, my, a numbers coincidence.

Gee whiz, in late summer of 1954, Army station ADA started moving
to its new site NW of Tokyo.

At 14 years old I didn't much give a rats ass about the fact that an Army
radio
station was moving to a different spot in Japan. (Come think of it, I
still
don't give a rats ass.) I was much more excited about getting electric
lights
in our farm buildings and home.

I can understand your "not giving" about others. :-)

Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn for young teeners out in
the boonies suddenly getting ELECTRICITY in 1954! How about that?

Too bad you couldn't have tapped into the 300 KWe out of each of
the 16-cylinder marine diesels running generators at Kashiwa in
1954. Would have lit up your life some...

Of course the main room at Kashiwa transmitter building didn't
have but about 8 transmitters in 1954, there would be 43 Big
Ones in there by 1956 and completion of the move. Not to
mention wire antennas all over the airfield, including full
rhombics. 1 KW minimum, 40 KW maximum RF outputs. Not a single
one of them using on-off keying radiotelegraphy. Sunnuvagun!

When one stood at one end and looked down the row to 150 feet or
so in the distance and saw nothing but high power HF transmitters
side by side on each side, it was bound to have an impression.
Then out in the microwave building with four 24-channel microwave
radio relay terminals that were the main link with anyone that HAD
to be kept ON 24/7. [not to mention the old carrier bays]

Perhaps not as much as suddenly getting electricity where one
had nothing but wind-charged batteries but then that's us "city
boy sissies" I'm sure you'd apply. Life must have been
extraordinarily TOUGH way, way out on the farm. You have my
sympathies. Nothing else. Just sympathies. :-)

dot dot