Old July 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Roland Stiner

One aspect of our hobby that I have always enjoyed is collecting QSL's. I
have a certain amount of interest in various operating awards. Currently

my
goals are 6 and 2 meter WAS & DXCC and 80 and 160 meter DXCC. Overall, my
rate of return on QSL's sent is good for DX stations, but it is dismal for

US
stations. I always include an SASE and a personal note, and generally

engage
in the type of QSO the other person seems to be looking for, such as a

quick
exchange of reports on AU or MS or an opening or a more lengthy QSO when
conditions are appropriate. In the past I have even included contact

cards
already filled out with the QSO information so the recipient only had to

sign
it and return it in the enclosed SASE.

I always QSL AFTER I get one from a station. No matter if it is DX or not,
that's my policy. I never ask for SASEs as I feel that everyone should pull
their own weight so I always return them unused. You have to realize that
there are a lot of people who just don't want to do the paperwork involved
and although you like to QSL, there are others to whom it is a big burden.

Roland, NK2U