Old July 2nd 05, 08:56 PM
Ron Hardin

A station my father and I shared came to an end by lightning strike,
when I was no longer interested enough to repair it, just from a nearby
strike, using a tri-bander beam with no particular ground path, just from
general reception of fields, and it was enough to blow out a collins 75a4
and a kw linear final at the end of about 100' of coax, almost all of it
indoors through conduits. That is to say, the antenna was not hit, but
just the rf load was enough to damage things.

I had outgrown ham radio, or whatever happens when you're 17, and moved
on to other things; and my father was more of a swl than a ham at
heart. He just bought another receiver and used its whip antenna.

Well it was interesting at age 12 for a few years anyway. Lightning may
be nature's way of telling you it's time for another hobby.
--
Ron Hardin