Old July 3rd 05, 01:38 AM
Highland Ham

"m005kennedy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually do a small amout of soldering at once. I was thinking of
getting a recharable soldering iron just for the convience factor. I
was hoping to get a brand and supplier recomendation. I've seen them
for around $60. I would think they would be fine for QRP type
construction.

===========================
Suggest you consider a butane gas iron with choice of a number of tips with
integral cathalitic burner . Gas flow can be adjusted ,hence the tip's
temperature.
There are various makes . I happen to use the Portasol Professional iron
,made in the Republic of Ireland, but there are other cheaper but equally
effective makes.

The iron's gas container with shut-off valve can be filled with a butane gas
cannister as used for cigarette lighters.

The smaller tips are excellent for printed circuit boards involving ICs and
the usual discrete components.
The larger tips are good for more heavy work like soldering PL259 plugs to
coax .
A 'Jumbo' tip has an equivalent rating of 100 Watts
However for surface mount components you need a micro tip. For this type of
work I use an electric cordless iron powered by 2 pcs 1.2V NiCad batteries.
But after a number of joints the batteries must be charged by placing the
complete iron in a stand . The unit I use is called ISOTIP ,made in USA by
Wahl Clipper Corporation.
The iron was purchased in 1980 and used regularly ,however the charger is
very primative (just a transformer with an embedded diode in the secondary
low voltage winding), resulting in relatively short battery life . I now
use the iron with a homebrew charger permitting 2 selectable charge rates
being 300 and 10 mA , the first used while using the iron , the 10 mA rate
when idle (trickle charging). Now the batteries hold their charge well and
the iron is ready for use at all times . Battery replacement however is
awkward .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH