Old July 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
Michael A. Terrell

clfe wrote:

"m005kennedy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually do a small amout of soldering at once. I was thinking of
getting a recharable soldering iron just for the convience factor. I
was hoping to get a brand and supplier recomendation. I've seen them
for around $60. I would think they would be fine for QRP type
construction.

Mike
KB1IUI

I have two of them, picked them both up at a hamfest for $5 each. Though
they needed batteries and a tip, they - to me - were a steal.
All included, I got both for less than the price of one - new. I use mine
extensively at times and got them for times when I'm trying to do repair
work when no immediate electric source OR as is my luck, a damned storm
comes and knocks out the power. At least with the Cordless, I can keep on
working. Most of my work involves only a DMM and Soldering equipment,
anything else can wait til power is available. I was able to get "very"
small tips for the really fine soldering I do at times, saved me lots of
grief. These are Iso-Tip brand. Very easy to maintain too. Not much to go
wrong with them. Tip and batteries - two major parts, aside from the
transformer in the charging base.

Even if ya have to buy one brand new, go for it....... "I" feel you'll make
a good choice. Before I close out - I "do" hope you're referring to the
"hot" kind, not the cold!!!!! The cold are JUNK.

clf

Add a 1N4000 (or similar small power) diode in series with the lamp
to extend the life. I was replacing the bulb every couple weeks, till I
did this.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell