Old July 3rd 05, 07:51 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:50:50 +0000, Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

I am guessing that they are close to the 16000 block of Von
Karman Avenue - the IPMobileNet HQ. Am I right?

While there may be one of them at that location, the one in the
picture is near the 5 freeway and Culver Drive. The other one I saw
was on Alton Parkway near Jeronimo.

IPMobileNet makes the XpressNet 802.11 Mesh System, which is
often set up using SmartCell access points on light poles.

That box looks like a standard NEMA enclosure that anyone can
use. The antenna looks like a WiFi (zoom in, it's longer than
it looks at first).

Hmm... Any idea which SSID(s) they use? I can use NetStumbler to see
if that SSID shows up. Also, there is a cable leading from the NEMA
enclosure to a cylindrical device on top of the pole; any idea what
that is? Is it some sort of sensor that is being remotely monitored
via the radio in the NEMA enclosure?