Old July 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
gray-beard

That cylindrical device on the top is nothing more than a simple photo
cell to turn the street light on at dusk and off at dawn.
It looks as though they are merely getting power through the exposed cord.
Still don't know what the unit is though.
We have them here in Denver too.

GB

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:50:50 +0000, Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

http://tinypic.com/6okknl.jpg

I am guessing that they are close to the 16000 block of Von
Karman Avenue - the IPMobileNet HQ. Am I right?

While there may be one of them at that location, the one in the
picture is near the 5 freeway and Culver Drive. The other one I saw
was on Alton Parkway near Jeronimo.

IPMobileNet makes the XpressNet 802.11 Mesh System, which is
often set up using SmartCell access points on light poles.

That box looks like a standard NEMA enclosure that anyone can
use. The antenna looks like a WiFi (zoom in, it's longer than
it looks at first).

Hmm... Any idea which SSID(s) they use? I can use NetStumbler to see
if that SSID shows up. Also, there is a cable leading from the NEMA
enclosure to a cylindrical device on top of the pole; any idea what
that is? Is it some sort of sensor that is being remotely monitored
via the radio in the NEMA enclosure?

--
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government
has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't

-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged