Old July 4th 05, 04:30 AM
Dr. Artaud

"B. Otten" wrote in
:

That is correct, that is what concerned me, that fact that it will have
orientation in all directions. The radio works quite well with the 15 ft.
stub that remains of the original antenna, it has been cut off outside
the window.

I would like to return to the outdoor wire antenna, but only after I can
ground my equipment properly. I also need to redo the ground rod and
connections, and purchase an arrestor that may be more successful in
shedding the voltage of the strike/near strike successfully. I will also
run the antenna on the other side of the yard, and terminate it well
short of the tree, as the strike rode down the outside of the tree to the
wire.

I still don't know if it was a coincidence that I just put the arrestor
on the wire 3 weeks ago, and that it may have saved my house, or if the
presence of the arrestor is responsible for a "leader" climbing the tree
and connecting with the bolt of lightning, encouraging it to the
arrestor's ground.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

In your drawing, it looks as if the wire will nearly loop around the
entire room. Not a "loop" antenna in the strictest terms, but a random
length wire in all directions. It should favor no particular
direction, but you'll have at least a sizeable piece of wire up. It
should work okay. If you've a very old house and it happens to have
steam radiators you could make a connection to the pipe as well...more
metal to collect signal.

Bill
KC9CS