Old July 4th 05, 03:51 PM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

there is one device which can be used on, at least, a receiving
antenna with possibly the best protection which can be had, it is
called a "coherer"

google with coherer and "lightning protection" (yes, include the
quotes) and you will see it has been deployed as such

however, using it with a transmitter would probably NOT work, since
the xmit signal would "set" the coherer and cause a direct short to
ground

a homemade coherer can be made with a couple of electrodes, metal
filings and a plastic or glass tube and stoppers at the ends for the
electrodes to enter through and both be within the medium of the metal
filings, again, a web search should provide you with a visual diagram
to construct one with
Thanks for the interesting search topic.
I had no idea that""coherer" had any modern useage.

I think I will stick with my PolyPhaser but I love finding
out about new (or old) technologies.

Terry